One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An acute and often fatal viral disease, with fever, occurring chiefly in West Africa. It is usually acquired from infected rats.
- ‘Recently cholera has occurred in India and Peru; dengue in Panama, New Guinea, and Australia; yellow fever, Rift Valley fever, and Lassa fever in Africa.’
- ‘But he said he did not think he had Lassa fever because his severe thigh-muscle aching was a symptom the nurses had escaped.’
- ‘Advisories issued in 1998 by the Centers for Disease Control warned travelers to Sierra Leone that malaria, measles, cholera, typhoid fever, and Lassa fever were prevalent throughout the country.’
- ‘You might have one of them weird Jungle diseases like Lassa fever or the Clap.’
- ‘Other viral illnesses include influenza, the common cold, Lassa fever, and ebola.’
1970s: named after the village of Lassa, in NW Nigeria, where it was first reported.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.