Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Pasta in the form of wide strips.
- ‘The pastas include lasagne, spaghetti, tagliatelle, macaroni, tortellini and capellini, so you're not going to get much more Italian than that!’
- ‘All sorts of pasta can be used, from thin sheets of lasagne to stubby penne or rigatoni.’
- ‘Next is a page with 17 Pasta selections with spaghetti, fettuccine, penne, gnocchi, tortelli, lasagne and tortellini.’
- ‘Cover this with a final layer of lasagne and then with the béchamel sauce.’
- ‘Repeat the layering process; finishing with a layer of lasagna and sauce.’
- ‘Spoon some of the bolognese sauce on the bottom of the dish and layer with a sheet of lasagna.’
- ‘Not only that, but the light waves are all lined up in the same direction, like strips of lasagna in a pan.’
- ‘Be that as it may, the importance of macaroni was such that for a long time, in both Italian and English, the name could be used as a generic one for pasta (excluding only sheet pasta such as lasagne and filled pasta such as ravioli).’
- ‘At home, instead of making pasta, I have settled for thick, ripply dried lasagna, which doesn't quite stack up.’
- ‘Put bowls of cooked pasta (spaghetti, rigatoni, lasagna, rotini, etc.) around the table and use a dark colored tray as your Cloodle pad.’
- ‘Top with another sheet of lasagna and layer as before, finishing with a layer of lasagna.’
- 1.1 A baked Italian dish consisting of wide strips of pasta cooked and layered with meat or vegetables, cheese, and tomato sauce.
- ‘It struck up a fine relationship with Brio's low, lightly constructed lasagna layered with a classic, carrot-dotted meat ragù and a stripe of green-herbed ricotta.’
- ‘In doubt, I think the best thing to do for someone who is grieving is to take care of daily life stuff: cook a lasagna for them to reheat for a meal.’
- ‘When my dad said that microwaveable lasagnes were all sauce so you couldn't taste the poor meat, his home-cured bacon and eggs suddenly seemed like the forces of conservatism on a plate.’
- ‘When you cook make two lasagne or meat loaves instead of one, or make double-or triple-size casseroles.’
- ‘Seal the casserole with foil to keep the moisture in as the lasagna is baking, then uncover the container if you want more browning.’
- ‘But they are also healthy - and tasty - boiled and topped with butter and cheese sauce, baked in a vegetarian lasagna or fried with scrambled eggs.’
- ‘I had a full a la carte menu to choose from, freshly cooked meats, chilled lasagne (a favourite) and cakes of every description.’
- ‘The extensive menu offers lunch and dinner portions of Italian favorites such as lasagna, manicotti, ravioli, chicken Parmigiana and stuffed shells.’
- ‘Catherine said her vegetable lasagne was ‘very cheesy’ and it contained good-sized chunks of onion, courgette, tomatoes and celery - perhaps that's where mine went.’
- ‘Instead, the words conjure up unpleasant memories of mom's experimental eggplant lasagna and certain rubber-like meat substitutes.’
- ‘A lunch menu on a recent Monday consisted of French onion soup, spinach lasagna and Italian sausage, followed by a dinner that included egg drop soup, teriyaki steak, Cajun blackened fish and pork fried rice.’
- ‘I had the Jerk Shrimp as appetizer, and followed with the beef lasagne with steamed vegetables as my main dish.’
- ‘Putting a dish of cooked-chilled vegetable lasagne into the microwave is about as high as many career women climb on today's culinary ladder.’
- ‘The kitchen has tried baking lasagna three different ways.’
- ‘He should have started with the basics such as cottage pie, chicken and ham pie, lasagne and ham salad.’
- ‘I had a choice of vegetarian lasagne, spaghetti bolognese, or bacon and cabbage and this was only the beginning of menu number one.’
- ‘Main courses included roast beef, lamb and pork from the carvery, steak and kidney pie, poached chicken with mushroom and asparagus sauce and vegetable lasagne.’
- ‘Try meat prepared in combination with other foods, such as chili, lasagna, spaghetti sauce, casseroles, stews or hearty soups.’
- ‘Proper lunch food is also available, including soups, hot savoury tarts, sandwiches, Greek salad and vegetable lasagne.’
- ‘I spotted lasagne, tuna pasta bake, steak and kidney pie, a variety of baked potatoes and then my eyes wandered to the home-cooked apple or toffee cream pies, cakes scones and other confectionery.’
- ‘How about corn tortillas layered with spinach and juicy tomatoes, or lasagna studded with colorful veggies?’
- ‘For pasta, I sampled the lasagna with meat, the vegetable lasagna and the tortellini with rosé sauce.’
- ‘In addition to the meatloaf trick, you can also grate a couple of carrots into spaghetti sauce and lasagna or quick breads and muffins to provide your family with a painless extra serving of vegetables.’
- ‘But we could have chosen also Thai fish stew, Mexican beef in tortilla wraps, or one of several vegetarian options, including broccoli and Stilton pie or vegetable lasagne.’
- ‘This means my roast vegetable lasagna and minted peas with pancetta will have to wait for next week… that is unless I have a trial run, yum!’
- ‘We had a fantastic lasagna (cooked by Ben), garlic bread with cheese or without, a Caesar salad, and some wine.’
- ‘These included baked lasagne, chicken curry, chicken goujons, Cajun chicken Caesar salad and fresh fish and chips.’
- ‘It is a very varied diet too, we eat all sorts - vegetarian spaghetti bolognese, vegetarian curry in Korma sauce, veggie lasagne, veggie pie, veggie pasta bake, etc.’
- ‘Somewhat akin to cooking lasagna for an Italian, any lack of knowledge of language or a cultural practice put Taylor at risk of being classified a cultural incompetent if not a traitor.’
- ‘If you're a vegetarian, leave out the meat and make your lasagna with fat-free ricotta cheese, which adds a whopping 40 grams of protein per half-cup.’
- ‘Nuts and nut oil are increasingly being used in cooking and can often be a hidden ingredient in dishes such as lasagne, salads and desserts.’
- ‘I hated all the food she cooked, vegetarian lasagne, vegetable burgers, fat free super noddles.’
- ‘As well as the pasta dishes, which included chicken Napolitana (breaded chicken breast with pasta and Napolitana sauce), both meat and vegetarian lasagnes and spaghetti carbonara, there were 39 different pizzas to choose from.’
- ‘There are no printed menus, and a sign outside announces that the place doesn't serve spaghetti bolognese, lasagne or pizza.’
- ‘My mom was making her delicious three cheese and meat lasagna.’
- ‘I'm not complaining when I say that the vegetable lasagne tasted more of cheese than of vegetables and the tomato sauce was enhanced with bits of eggplant, peppers, zucchini and mushroom.’
- ‘Another customer ate a dish of lasagne meant to feed eight people, while one waitress said she took a single order for four pork chops, baked potatoes, 12 eggs and garlic bread.’
- ‘There's plenty of good stodge on the menu, including favourites such as scampi, macaroni cheese, sausages, lasagne, steak and hand-cut chips.’
- ‘‘Yeah, it was,’ he smirked in reply then suggested one of the lasagnas as a dish.’
- ‘Of special note is the vegetarian lasagna with rosée sauce, which oozes a variety of vegetables, including carrots, zucchini, spinach and cauliflower - to name but a few.’
Italian, plural of lasagna, based on Latin lasanum ‘chamber pot’, perhaps also ‘cooking pot’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.