The hollow muscular organ forming an air passage to the lungs and holding the vocal cords in humans and other mammals; the voice box.
- ‘Smoking is a risk factor for cancer of the lung, mouth, larynx, bladder, kidney and several other organs.’
- ‘We did the lungs, the heart, the thymus gland, the larynx, and the mouth today.’
- ‘The larynx is the ‘voicebox’, the organ in the neck that plays a crucial role in speech and breathing.’
- ‘Cancer of various organs, not only the lung, but also the larynx, bladder and oesophagus.’
- ‘Elastic cartilage forms your outer ear and part of your larynx (voicebox).’
Late 16th century: modern Latin, from Greek larunx.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.