One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for examining the larynx, or for inserting a tube through it.
- ‘If the child shows classic signs and symptoms, direct visualization of the supralaryngeal area is carried out promptly using a laryngoscope or bronchoscope.’
- ‘The rats were anesthetized lightly with ether and instilled with the sample suspensions via trachea under direct observation with the aid of a laryngoscope.’
- ‘The laryngoscope is used again to confirm vocal cord medialization while the patient phonates.’
- ‘There were also syringes, metal and leather gags, electrodes and even a laryngoscope, normally used by doctors to examine patients' airways.’
- ‘Before using the measuring devices to determine the implant size, the surgeon inserts the fiber-optic laryngoscope.’
- ‘As injury to the mucous membrane of the larynx could occur when an endotracheal tube or a laryngoscope, selected on the basis of western data, is introduced into the larynx of patients.’
- ‘Many of the survivors would also have died if there had been no endotracheal tubes, laryngoscope, or doctor capable of intubating them.’
- ‘There are no batteries for electrical instruments like torches, ophthalmoscopes and laryngoscopes.’
- ‘After induction with general anesthesia, the glottis was directly visualized via suspension laryngoscopy and ventilation maintained by jet ventilation through the laryngoscope.’
- ‘By mid-century, the stethoscope had been joined by the ophthalmoscope and laryngoscope, the thermometer and spirometer.’
- ‘If there is any concern over maintenance of ventilation, an endotracheal tube is place by the surgeon via the laryngoscope.’
- ‘A short obese neck and full breasts due to pregnancy may make it difficult to insert the laryngoscope into the mouth.’
- ‘In the fiberoptic endoscopic examination of swallowing, a transnasal laryngoscope is used to assess pharyngeal swallowing.’
- ‘As specialists, we visualise the pharynx and upper oesophagus with mirrors and a flexible laryngoscope and use rigid endoscopy under anaesthesia, which is the gold standard for investigation of this difficult area.’
- ‘This may involve direct visual examination of the inside of the larynx with an instrument called a laryngoscope or indirect examination of the airway with a mirror.’
- ‘Avoid extreme tension or tilt of the laryngoscope.’
- ‘Our concern arose as a result of an incident when in the course of endoscopic examination of a glottic cancer the laryngoscope was dislodged leaving the jet catheter in the upper trachea.’
- ‘Semicritical items that will come in contact with mucous membranes and nonintact skin (eg, bronchoscopes, laryngoscopes) require high-level disinfection.’
- ‘The most accurate means of detecting MAS is by examining the vocal cords with a laryngoscope.’
- ‘Straightbladed paediatric laryngoscopes are designed to be inserted beyond the epiglottis, which is then lifted by the tip of the blade to expose the vocal cords.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.