One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The part on each side of a coat or jacket immediately below the collar which is folded back on either side of the front opening.
- ‘Making alterations to other areas, such as the shoulders, back or lapels will change the intended design of the suit.’
- ‘This lapel features a triangular indention where the lapel joins the collar.’
- ‘Touches such as real cuff buttonholes or hand-finished lapels now come into play.’
- ‘For men, the geometry of jacket lapels, shoulder pads and waist tapering emphasize the strong upper body of a male.’
- ‘The lapels of his suit coat disappear and blend into the body of the jacket.’
- ‘Try on the garment and settle the collar and lapels into place so they are smooth and wrinkle-free.’
- ‘Like a tailor, he keeps big needles pinned behind the lapel of his coat, a plaid jacket too large for him.’
- ‘The lapels of the coat extend beyond the skirt, and halt at my mid-shin.’
- ‘Jean grabs him by the lapel of his tuxedo jacket and narrows her green eyes at him.’
- ‘Jackets also sport a higher button stance, narrower notched lapels and flap pockets.’
- ‘If the back and front of the lapel move independently of each other, they are stitched.’
- ‘For fun, top it with panels that button back like the lapels of a sport coat.’
- ‘Badges were dispersed throughout the range and added on the lapels of jackets and fitted tops.’
- ‘The finely tailored jacket featured wide lapels and side belt with turn-ups prominent on the classic cut pants.’
- ‘I always see him in a comfortable chair wearing one of those smoking jackets with quilted lapels.’
- ‘He tugged at the front lapel of his suit jacket and pulled it to his nose.’
- ‘The twist that makes this look right now is that the lapels, fronts and hems of the tweeds are encrusted with gold and silver or outlined in colourful stones.’
- ‘I have on a pair of very tight drainpipe trousers, shirt and skinny tie, and a jacket whose thin lapels are partly hidden by a row of tiny badges featuring the names of punk bands.’
- ‘They also wore button-down shirts and were sometimes with carnations in the lapels of their jackets.’
- ‘You should also look out for pockets, the lapel's style, and whether or not the overcoat has a vent in the back.’
Mid 17th century: diminutive of lap.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.