One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A surgical procedure in which a fiber-optic instrument is inserted through the abdominal wall to view the organs in the abdomen or to permit a surgical procedure.‘she went through lengthy hospital tests including a laparoscopy’mass noun ‘endometriosis may be diagnosed by laparoscopy’
- ‘And this was being used for other types of surgery including hysterectomies, laparoscopies and prolapse repairs.’
- ‘Diagnostic laparoscopy was performed, which revealed dilated veins in the omentum and falciform ligament, a nodular liver, and a mass in the right lower quadrant.’
- ‘Smaller cysts can sometimes be removed using a surgical technique called laparoscopy.’
- ‘Treatment does not correct tubal damage but prevents reactivation if laparoscopy or other pelvic surgery is indicated.’
- ‘Often it is carried out as ‘keyhole’ surgery during a laparoscopy and may include the use of laser surgery techniques.’
- ‘Sites need not be marked for other procedures including those with a midline incision, cesarean-sections, laparotomies, and laparoscopies.’
- ‘This occurred 10 days after a diagnostic laparoscopy for which she had had a laryngeal mask airway inserted.’
- ‘During laparoscopy, an incision is made in your abdominal wall and the laparoscope - an instrument similar to an endoscope - is inserted to look for cancer.’
- ‘During laparoscopy, insufflation of the abdomen moves the abdominal wall away from the intra-abdominal contents.’
- ‘The surgeon also instructs the patient scheduled for surgical laparoscopy about the possibility of converting to a laparotomy if a malignancy is discovered.’
- ‘In some patients, the fundoplication can be performed using minimally invasive surgery, or laparoscopy.’
- ‘After a laparoscopy you are likely to feel some pain in the abdomen as well as ‘referred pain’ (caused by the gas used to inflate the abdomen) in the shoulders.’
- ‘Another means of detecting pelvic disease that might contribute to infertility is by a surgical procedure called laparoscopy.’
- ‘There was a short remission period following the surgery, but the patient complained of recurrent abdominal pain and a laparoscopy was performed.’
- ‘A blood type and screen also is performed in the event vessels are transected during the laparoscopy or if the laparoscopic procedure fails and a laparotomy becomes necessary.’
- ‘At laparoscopy, multinodular tumor implants on the surfaces of the ovaries were observed, and a biopsy was performed.’
- ‘If the findings of imaging are inconclusive, a staging laparoscopy or laparotomy may be done before definitive surgery.’
- ‘At the time, diagnostic laparoscopies were well accepted, but surgical attempts - apart from gynaecological sterilisation - were considered experimental and therefore unethical.’
- ‘On September 1, 1997 a laparoscopy (surgery using a viewing tube called a laparoscope) was performed.’
- ‘The patient underwent a laparoscopy with incidental appendectomy.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek lapara ‘flank’ + -scopy.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.