Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A swimming pool specially designed or designated for swimming laps.
- ‘This unique coiled leash affords the swimmer a progressive continuous hydro-resistance allowing Swimming-In-Place to be at a new level of performance without a lap pool or expensive machines or apparatuses.’
- ‘The forward lap pool, open to the sky, is complemented by two whirlpool spas.’
- ‘On the ground level the floor plans show five full size regulation Tennis courts and 3 lane indoor lap pools and spa.’
- ‘The house is organized in a lineal plan with an elevated glass-bottomed lap pool used as a planning and sectional device to bring western light into the house and to form an exaggerated entrance canopy.’
- ‘The pool complex will feature both indoor and outdoor pools, including a ‘plunge pool’ with tall slides, an ‘aquatic family fun park’ with other water amusements and a six-lane lap pool.’
- ‘Ten cabins share one private courtyard featuring a lap pool, Jacuzzi, his and hers steam rooms and exercise equipment.’
- ‘Furthermore, the facility provides an indoor and outdoor aquatics center complete with two-story water slides, children's play areas, large lap pool, whirlpools and a full-service outdoor bistro.’
- ‘The water, which is warmed to about 550, returns to a series of heat pumps that extract and boost heat and distribute it to a hydronic radiant floor-heating system, a water heater, and the heater for a narrow lap pool.’
- ‘This resulted in a leak that made Niagara Falls look like lap pool.’
- ‘Building an indoor lap pool would have been too expensive, and the ‘swim spas’ then on the market were of poor quality, consisting essentially of spas with their jets redirected to create turbulence.’
- ‘After a morning on the slopes, relax in the chalet's exquisite solarium where you can enjoy the beauty and activity of the great outdoors from the lap pool, whirlpool, sauna, or fitness room.’
- ‘Stage 2, which includes a 25-metre lap pool and separate toddler/leisure pool, will cost another $5.4 million.’
- ‘Recently married, Bob and his wife, Graciela, an artist, decided to build a two-lane, 25-yard lap pool outside the new home they are building in Tiburon on the San Francisco Bay, overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge.’
- ‘At basement level, which is principally taken over by children's activity, a lap pool bordered by planes of brilliant blue and red catches the light from a glazed slot overhead, and reflects it onto a dividing wall of frosted glass.’
- ‘In March, Rosmarin bought the 8,500-square-foot house, providing himself and 11-year-old Aurey with a permanent home on a vast lot complete with formal garden, a lap pool and wide open spaces.’
- ‘Either you have a gym with workout equipment, aerobics and maybe a lap pool or you have a full-service athletic facility with recreational components and spas and cafes - which is whole different animal.’
- ‘The biggest problem was an enormous lap pool at the bottom of the slope: Installed by the previous owner, the pool occupied the only spot on the property sunny enough for a vegetable garden.’
- ‘In addition, the rear section of the guest-house roof incorporates a 4-foot-deep lap pool accessible from the patio of the main building.’
- ‘Even Masters swimmers with backyard lap pools could receive high quality coaching from the comfort of their own homes.’
- ‘Members will have access to amenities such as a 25-meter lap pool, whirlpool, steam room and sauna, and indoor court sports such as racquetball, squash and basketball and more.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.