Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the series of fifteen metallic elements from lanthanum to lutetium in the periodic table.See also rare earth
- ‘Other particles containing yttria and some lanthanides are phosphors that be processed to form light-emitting devices.’
- ‘The lanthanides make up the elements between barium and hafnium in Row 6 of the periodic table.’
- ‘In such cases, a chelated lanthanide that is associated with one partner sensitizes an acceptor on a complementary partner when these species are within the typical Forster distance range of 3 to 9 nm.’
- ‘Elements in this group are also known as the lanthanides after the first element in that group, lanthanum.’
- ‘Indeed, to ‘flip’ acidic bicelles while maintaining well-ordered structures, only small concentrations of lanthanides can be added.’
1920s: from lanthanum + -ide.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.