One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deep-sea fish that has organs on its body that emit light, seen chiefly when it rises to the surface at night.
Family Myctophidae: several genera and species
- ‘Ayres found a lanternfish at Old Man's Harbor ‘rolled and chafed by the tide’ on 31 October 1841.’
- ‘The Galaxoidea, in turn, are paraphyletic and contain the Stomiiformes (lanternfishes) which are often regarded as part of the Stenopterygii.’
- ‘Diet consists of squid, octopus, anchovies, lanternfish, hoki, and sometimes penguins.’
- ‘Octopi, lanternfish, sharks, dolphin… you name it and it was there.’
- ‘Midwater species, such as lanternfishes, hatchetfishes and dragonfishes have rows of lights along the underside of the body, probably for mating and identification as well as foraging.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.