Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tropical evergreen shrub of the verbena family, several kinds of which are cultivated as ornamentals.
- ‘John, who lives at Sunset Beach, says his colourful front garden - full of bougainvillea, roses and lantanas - will give Steve's tropical paradise a run for its money.’
- ‘My lantanas bloomed beautifully for about two months, then shut down.’
- ‘My lantanas have leathery-feeling leaves and white spots.’
- ‘The monarch-attracting butterflyweed, verbena, lantana, ornamental grass, dietes, daylilies, black elephant ears and white-topped sedge set a natural stage for the water.’
- ‘Should I trim verbena and lantana to encourage flowering?’
Modern Latin, from the specific name of the wayfaring tree Viburnum lantana, which it resembles superficially.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.