Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of grammar, composition, spelling, and (sometimes) public speaking, typically taught as a single subject in elementary and middle school.
- ‘I didn't care about any of the subjects taught in school, especially language arts.’
- ‘The school's elementary school curriculum puts more emphasis on language arts and mathematics.’
- ‘Every high school will offer advanced placement courses in English language arts, mathematics, foreign languages, social studies and sciences.’
- ‘Conflicts especially abound in English literature, language arts, social studies, and the humanities.’
- ‘Anticipating the future development of an interdisciplinary unit involving science, language arts, and social studies, adaptation became our theme.’
- ‘Students study language arts in two languages, mathematics in English, and science and social studies in Spanish.’
- ‘The third block and related field experience revolve around subject matter methods courses in math, science, social studies, and language arts.’
- ‘Other language arts practiced daily are writing and spelling, with grammar topics introduced from time to time.’
- ‘Too often, the different curricular subjects, such as social studies, language arts, math, and science, are presented to students in a vacuum.’
- ‘Our daughter started 5th grade here in the fall of 2002 and was reading books in language arts that she had read in 3rd grade in Illinois.’
- ‘Advanced math and science courses were also provided as well as courses in language arts, social studies, and the arts.’
- ‘Connecting reading and writing has become an important trend in teaching the language arts.’
- ‘Whether they teach elementary school or high school, science or language arts, they come to learn how to incorporate architecture into their classes.’
- ‘He took to spending his summers in Germany, studying all manner of language arts, literature, and poetry, and even taking a course in Sanskrit for a time.’
- ‘However, lessons can be incorporated in other subject areas such as language arts, math, art, etc.’
- ‘I teach two classes of grade fives language arts and social studies at the International Christian School here in Hong Kong.’
- ‘The following are examples of learning goals and activities that integrate the arts with the language arts, social studies, and mathematics and science curricula.’
- ‘Technology education can be incorporated into language arts, social studies, science, and mathematics.’
- ‘The bell rang, and I rushed to my locker to get my stuff for language arts, the most pointless subject of the day.’
- ‘The study focuses on math and language arts, and the results strongly support these hypotheses.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.