One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who owns land, especially a large amount of land.
- ‘Would any local landowners like to write in and offer their land for this scheme?’
- ‘A trespasser who enters another's land may cause the landowner no financial loss.’
- ‘A Bradford Council spokesman said legally only the landowner could apply to a court for possession of the land.’
- ‘It should be no part of the plan that it is for private landowners to retain land effectively as a public reserve.’
- ‘Upon the death of a landowner, land is divided in equal portions among the surviving children.’
- ‘Sometimes, too, the commune would rent or purchase additional land from the landowner or from the state.’
- ‘The bill still gives new powers to landowners to suspend rights of access to land and water for management reasons.’
- ‘The scheme was devised in response to a request from a landowner for projects to enhance the wildlife value of his land.’
- ‘They should only be ridden on private land with the landowner's consent.’
- ‘He is a former landowner, whose lands had been included in an agricultural reform programme decades before.’
- ‘A lot of landowners are careful about letting the hunt on their land because of repercussions.’
- ‘The reality is that landowners will and do provide land for exactly these purposes.’
- ‘Police are urging landowners to take care when burning heather on their land.’
- ‘She claimed that the landowner could have built his home on land further back from the road on land which he had now sold.’
- ‘Although it reduced the power of the landowner, small absentee landowners emerged.’
- ‘It will also be an offence for landowners to permit their land to be used for hunting.’
- ‘In areas that are privately owned, the council encourages the landowners to keep their land free from litter.’
- ‘This is apart from the serious problems and costs it will cause landowners and land managers.’
- ‘Corsham Town Council is opposing a landowner who wants to use his industrial land for shredding motor tyres.’
- ‘One of the first programs instituted by the Japanese was land reform that made the landowner the sole owner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.