One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural landing parties
A detachment of a ship's crew who go ashore to perform a task.‘a smaller boat brings a landing party ashore’
- ‘The militia, patrolling the coasts, prevented enemy landing parties from establishing military bases on the island.’
- ‘Landing parties board vessels for a safe journey across the channel.’
- ‘The landing parties stealthily scaled the steep cliffs which rose from the river.’
- ‘Marine detachments aboard navy warships provided small landing parties for short-term security duties.’
- ‘We noticed the rest of the landing party wearing a different colour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.