One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The undercarriage of an aircraft, including the wheels or pontoons on which it rests while not in the air.
- ‘The all-metal aircraft had controls, armament, and even landing gears that were tucked away out of the slip stream to increase speed, range, and performance.’
- ‘It is thought the seat of the fire was in the landing gear under the aircraft's main fuselage.’
- ‘Soon the aircraft was sitting on its landing gear for the first time since 1995.’
- ‘Well, the landing gear came through just fine but the airframe was badly bent!’
- ‘This meant that the landing gear had to go into the fuselage which resulted in a narrow track.’
- ‘A long, slender fuselage was necessary to contain most of the fuel as well as the landing gear and payloads.’
- ‘When the airplane is clear of the ground, direct the co-pilot to retract and lock the landing gear.’
- ‘The aircraft is equipped with three-strut landing gear, a tail wheel and a brake parachute.’
- ‘The landing gear retracts in order to prevent interference with the radar.’
- ‘You may get killed walking across the street when you can get hit by a landing gear falling from an aircraft.’
- ‘On touchdown, all three landing gears were sheared and the aircraft underside was substantially damaged.’
- ‘As the landing gear was being retracted, he felt a slight hesitation and mild backfire with the left engine.’
- ‘The designers, of course, figured the nose-wheel on the new tricycle landing gears also needed to be locked during take-offs and landings.’
- ‘After a positive rate of climb was achieved, the landing gear was retracted.’
- ‘I got a garden hose and washed off the landing gear and cleaned the plane as best I could.’
- ‘This procedure is commonly used for testing purposes to override the actual position of the landing gear.’
- ‘This is no place to be 50 knots fast, throwing the landing gear down and wondering about the flaps.’
- ‘The machine shop is still finishing the components for the remaining landing gears, including a couple of minor mods to the wheels which will ease the installation of the tires.’
- ‘If so, were dispatchers involved in the decision to continue the flight with the landing gear extended?’
- ‘After a couple of hops I found out it was just the nature of the beast, due to the large wide plates on the front of the landing gear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.