One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An explosive mine laid on or just under the surface of the ground.
- ‘According to Oxfam there are some 50 to 100 victims of landmines and unexploded ordnance every week.’
- ‘At the grave risk of committing sacrilege, let's tread some dangerous ground infested with landmines.’
- ‘They hit a landmine, and after the explosion, insurgents came at them with small arms fire.’
- ‘Officials say one of the Marines apparently stepped on a huge landmine made of old artillery shells.’
- ‘Compared with landmines, unexploded ordnance is not only more visible, but also easier and cheaper to remove.’
- ‘She has just stepped on a landmine and she is clinging to life.’
- ‘It can be placed either on the ground next to the munitions or directed at the landmine mounted on a simple wire frame.’
- ‘The area is still littered with landmines and unexploded ordnance.’
- ‘The same application could be useful for disposing of unexploded bombs and landmines.’
- ‘Any additional sponsorship we get will go to Mine Action Group who clear landmines around the world.’
- ‘The archeological team had to be very careful in unearthing the ruins in case a landmine was buried under the surface.’
- ‘A team of experts will travel in May to clear landmines in Cambodia, one of the worst landmine contaminated areas in the world.’
- ‘Most are the result of roadside bombs, landmines and rocket attacks on military camps.’
- ‘It stirs up so many emotions which are still buried just beneath the surface, rather like the landmine that took my foot.’
- ‘Those that do not explode lie on the ground like landmines, waiting for people to step on them.’
- ‘I couldn't quite hear him because I stepped on a landmine and the explosion has made me deaf.’
- ‘They have been desperate to avoid setting off an array of landmines with hair triggers.’
- ‘We had all done a lot of training with explosives and landmines and things.’
- ‘None of you were massively keen on the idea of remotely triggered landmines.’
- ‘The Vulcan works by firing a projectile at high speed into a landmine, ripping it apart without detonating the explosives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.