One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An exclamation announcing the sighting of land from a ship.
- ‘Tempted by the memories of too many pirate movies as a kid, I shout, only a little maliciously, ‘Land ahoy!’’
- ‘I am woken from my dreams as the lookout guards shout Land Ahoy! Britain is in sight.’
- ‘From high above the voice of a man hollered, ‘Land ahoy!’’
- ‘Jimmy the lookout boy called Land ahoy!’
- ‘On the morning of day 13, I called Land Ahoy as Antiguas east coast hove into view.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.