One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of hardwood trees with tough elastic timber.
- ‘A collection of native grasses, flaxes, hebes, Marlborough rock daisies and lancewoods was grown on in a spare vegetable plot.’
- ‘We also walk through a thick carpet of ferns and mosses, with peppertrees, lancewoods, and coprosmas overhead.’
- ‘Then they went further north to a patch of regenerating nikau, kopi and lancewood trees.’
- ‘Fire management requires consideration of the effect of the expected slow recovery rate of plant cover and the sensitivity to burning of species such as lancewood.’
- ‘The ground surface is a crumbly screed dotted with spinifex and occasional leopardwood and lancewood trees.’
- ‘Garden designer Chris Paul drew a design for the mown areas, and suggested the cabbage trees and lancewoods to add height, says Kate.’
- ‘You may have some evergreen sculptural natives such as astelias or lancewoods, which come to the fore in winter when the deciduous plants have died down.’
- ‘He is regenerating mahoe, karaka (called kopi in the Chathams), ribbonwood, matipo, karamu, nikau palms, lancewoods, and kowhai.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.