One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person employed to light street gaslights by hand.
- ‘A bit before the sun broke upon the horizon, the lamplighter put out the lamps that lined the streets.’
- ‘At dusk the lamplighter would go along on his bicycle carrying matches and a ladder over his shoulder.’
- ‘The poignant opening is a description of him as a child, fascinated by moving light, watching the lamplighter come up the street lighting the lamps.’
- ‘These days they want to know about the history of people who were not kings or queens, but weavers and miners, felling hands and lamplighters.’
- ‘Elevator operators, typesetters, and airplane navigators have followed milkmaids and lamplighters into oblivion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.