One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin layer, plate, or scale of sedimentary rock, organic tissue, or other material.
sliver, wafer, shaving, paring, peelingView synonyms
- ‘The preservation of the delicate neural arch laminae in cervical and dorsal vertebrae further indicates that the bones underwent little transport.’
- ‘Endothelial cells comprise the intimal layer and are supported by a thin membrane and an elastic lamina.’
- ‘The neural arches of sauropod vertebrae are comprised of thin laminae of bone connecting the zygapophyses, diapophyses, and neural spine.’
- ‘These connections occur through apertures in the basal laminae of both endothelial and epithelial cells.’
- ‘On the inner surface of the cell layer, a basal lamina (an organized layer of extracellular matrix) is laid down.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.