One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Snow falling on the lee side of a lake, generated by cold dry air passing over warmer water, especially in the Great Lakes region.
- ‘The squall of lake effect snow gave us alpine-like conditions at 20 ft above sea level.’
- ‘When the wind is right - right meaning blowing from the west across the length of Lake Ontario-the gigantic lake effect snow making system spits out thick squalls.’
- ‘Forest staff are proud of their reputation for providing exceptional grooming and you can usually count on lake effect snow to give them something to work with.’
- ‘Working in concert, the lake and plateau produce that wonderful weather phenomenon beloved by skiers - lake effect snow.’
- ‘When the cold winds start bringing lake effect snow to clog my neighborhood, don't think for a second that I'm not thinking of you guys.’
- ‘The smallish PB150 promises to sculpt trails from even the softest of lake effect snow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.