Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Paper that has a finely ribbed appearance.Compare with wove paper
- ‘The portrait is drawn on a sheet of unprepared light-brown laid paper chiefly in black and red chalk, with some slight touches of white in the boy's hair and on the feathers in his hat, and brown chalk in his irises.’
- ‘It consists of brush and brown washes, with a touch of red chalk [and black crayon] on laid paper, mounted on pink paper’
- ‘The work consists of pen, ink and gray wash drawing on cream colored laid paper.’
- ‘It is etching and drypoint on heavy laid paper, with a dated watermark of 1742.’
- ‘All paper before the late 18th century is laid paper, namely paper made from a mesh with rag pulp.’
- ‘The artists use a thicker paper - everything from laid paper, offset paper to a very thick, cardboard-like paper.’
- ‘A blue-and-brown nimbus attends the cavity, as layered oil pastel and graphite reveals the woodlike vertical grain of the laid paper overleaf.’
- ‘Those of you who are new to the subject of Chinese propaganda posters and are flirting with a purchase, should know that the paper quality is not comparable to laid paper of the type ‘Rives BK’ used for upper Western art prints.’
- ‘The fraktur painting is on laid paper typical of the nineteenth century and its design perfectly fits the unusual shape of the pocket.’
- ‘Any type of true watermark can be created within either laid or wove paper, but it is best to use only a single wire watermark in laid paper due to the competition the laid pattern gives to any watermark design.’
- ‘Comparisons of paintings on wove versus laid paper will also be on view, including works by Gainsborough and John ‘Warwick’ Smith.’
- ‘It is an original woodcut printed in black ink on thin laid paper bearing the Escutcheon with Diagonal Beam watermark.’
- ‘This measure greatly improved the appearance of the laid paper and gave Whatman a vital clue for improving the wove.’
- ‘Alternately, crayon is drawn lightly over laid paper so that its minute ridges pattern the color, as in fingerprints.’
- ‘Accordingly, in Untitled (Study for Moby Dick), Baziotes exploits the texture of the laid paper, accepting the random variations in color density produced by rubbing the pastel over the rough surface.’
- ‘True hand made laid paper does have some natural irregularity in appearance, not evident in machine made wove paper.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.