One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One of five points in the plane of orbit of one body around another (e.g. the moon around the earth) at which a small third body can remain stationary with respect to both.
- ‘Its space segment will be composed of a group of X-ray telescopes based around one of the libration points or Lagrangian points.’
- ‘As an important side benefit, interplanetary trajectories that begin at Lagrangian points require very little fuel to reach other Lagrangian points or even other planets.’
- ‘Finding asteroids on Saturn's Lagrangian points is difficult and has not yet been accomplished.’
- ‘The WSO approach would put a UV-only telescope at the second Lagrangian point of the Earth-Sun system, with an optical design of the Ritchey-Chretien type and a 1.7-m hyperbolic primary mirror.’
- ‘Herschel, Planck and Gaia are all observatory missions that will be positioned at the Lagrangian point L2, 1.5 million kilometres behind Earth as seen from the Sun.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.