Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A heavy wood screw with a square or hexagonal head.
- ‘The wooden mailbox pictured at right, purchased at a Bay Area nursery, is mounted atop a 6-foot-tall 4-by - 4 redwood post and secured with a 3-inch-long lag screw.’
- ‘Then drill these holes on the band and joists, again using a drill bit one size smaller than the shank of the lag screw.’
- ‘Spurs such as those worn by telephone linemen are forbidden, as are various other bark-damaging climbing aids like spikes or hook-ended lag screws.’
- ‘The easiest way to do this is to install washers on the lag screws between the ledger and the wall.’
- ‘Tack in place while you drill holes and secure it with lag screws or through-bolts.’
- ‘To help keep rain water running down the wall from flowing into the structure through the lag screw holes, squirt some silicone caulk in the holes before screwing in the lag screws.’
Fasten with a lag screw.
- ‘But lag-screwed cleats are MUCH more likely to fail as they rely solely on two screws holding into the wood.’
- ‘The HDs are either thru-bolted through cripple studs in the basement or lag-screwed to 4x4 posts such that the base is about 4’ above the mudsill.’
- ‘These nuts may be driven out if bolting or lag-screwing from above is necessary.’
- ‘The lag-screwed connection failed at less than 200 pounds when the lags pulled out of the band joist.’
- ‘It is currently lag-screwed into the wall studs, and I get a fair amount of nuisance fan noise inside, so I'd like to use some vibration isolation mounts when I remount it.’
- ‘The Ls are lag-screwed through the shingles to the roof's rafters.’
- ‘They are lag-screwed to the floor and are bolted together.’
- ‘They are supported from beneath with 2’ x 4’ supports, angled back and lag-screwed to the 4’ x 4’ uprights.’
- ‘He also designed some brackets that were lag-screwed to the top and bottom of the ridge rafters.’
- ‘The materials used in this retrofit were a 2 x 6 bottom plate of all weather wood, lag-screwed into the old 2 x 4 wall floor plate laterally.’
- ‘Place the stringers by the base of the floor and the upper level, and secure them there permanently by lag-screwing them through the brace into the rim joist.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.