One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A female lover or sweetheart.‘he could not legally marry his ladylove’
girlfriend, girl, sweetheart, partner, significant other, inamorata, fiancéeView synonyms
- ‘Ryu was once another man, Takuto, who was killed in an accident with his lady-love Maki, but has been resurrected by a would-be Mephistopheles with a sinister agenda.’
- ‘Nicholas' message was just very formal, like a man requesting the approval of his lady-love's guardian.’
- ‘According to this system of morals and manners, a knight was to remain faithful to God, loyal to his king, true to his lady-love, and helpful to their less fortunate kinsmen.’
- ‘And I remember how he once scandalised us all by leaving a Test series in Australia to pursue his lady-love, a famous belly dancer.’
- ‘Would-be knights in shining armour will be jousting for the affections of their lady-loves in tournaments harking back to the days of King Arthur.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.