Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small beetle with a domed back, typically red or yellow with black spots. Both the adults and larvae are important predators of aphids.→ ladybird
- ‘After the read aloud, the text was extended as children examined pictures of a cricket, a ground beetle, and ladybugs, and they made comments and comparisons.’
- ‘We're building habitats to encourage birds, butterflies, dragonflies and ladybugs to our gardens.’
- ‘The larvae of ladybugs and green lacewings are also hunters of small, soft-bodied insect pests.’
- ‘Green lacewings, like ladybugs, diminish aphid and mealybug populations, as well as thrips.’
- ‘They are multicolored Asian ladybugs or ladybird beetles, first introduced to the southern United States to control aphids.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.