Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially in Thailand) a transvestite.
- ‘We are not talking pretty ladyboys here either - the types in the Trans Rose were grotesque, predatory figures with stubble and pancake make-up out of an oriental Fellini movie.’
- ‘With the Thai ladyboys, he certainly picked a subject well out of the ordinary, although Wilner does go to great pains to emphasise the acceptance of ‘women of the second order’ in the Thai society.’
- ‘I was savouring a cocktail in a busy bar last night when I overheard a group of men saying some jolly unpleasant things about ladyboys (kathoeys).’
- ‘The story goes that downtrodden Sophie works in a hat shop and one day meets the glamorous wizard Howl, a charming ladykiller who has garnered the reputation of eating girls' hearts, despite looking more like a ladyboy.’
- ‘The city is well known for its ladyboy clubs and red light districts, but not, as a few locals pointed out, any more than most large cities.’
- ‘While many women discontinued their services along Beach Road, gays, ladyboys and ‘women of the second category’ did not.’
- ‘All over Asia, Pattaya is equated with ladyboys.’
- ‘We left the joint soon after polishing off our free beers, not looking forward to once again having to push our way past a sea of groping ladyboys and crazy hookers again.’
- ‘Four male dancers, two drag comediennes and about 10 ladyboys will be performing their tongue-in-cheek routines in a storm of colour, glitter and spectacular costumes.’
- ‘I read with interest the letter from Frank Blanchard about how he feels ladyboys are being ‘attacked’ by letter writers and your editorial staff.’
- ‘If you don't know by now, there is a third sex in Thailand and some other Asian countries - the ladyboy.’
- ‘One would've imagined that an ability to distinguish ladyboys from genuine ladies is a minimum requirement for modern-day editorial work.’
- ‘The performers include four Thai male dancers, two comedians and 10 ladyboys.’
- ‘As we headed out into the countryside, we talked about the usual - girls, football and ladyboys.’
- ‘Nonetheless, Beautiful Boxer is, in keeping with its title, beautifully shot and Asanee Suwan, himself a champion in the martial art of Muay Thai, puts in a credible performance as the delicate ladyboy with the lethal kick.’
- ‘Nothing untoward has happened over there, only two of the men have spent a night in the ‘slammer’, and another one has been held captive by a Bangkok ladyboy - nothing strange there then.’
- ‘I would just like to say to Mr Griller that whilst I have not studied the ladyboy situation in Pattaya, I have however experienced the harassment they can cause.’
- ‘Some of the ladyboys were extremely beautiful and incredibly convincing.’
- ‘On ‘Stronger Than Me’ she berates her passive boyfriend, calls him a ladyboy and mockingly inquires: ‘Are you gay?’’
- ‘Here, cameras follow four of the ladyboys both at the festival and during their everyday lives as they shop for clothes and shoes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.