One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially in Thailand) a transvestite.
- ‘We are not talking pretty ladyboys here either - the types in the Trans Rose were grotesque, predatory figures with stubble and pancake make-up out of an oriental Fellini movie.’
- ‘As we headed out into the countryside, we talked about the usual - girls, football and ladyboys.’
- ‘The city is well known for its ladyboy clubs and red light districts, but not, as a few locals pointed out, any more than most large cities.’
- ‘Four male dancers, two drag comediennes and about 10 ladyboys will be performing their tongue-in-cheek routines in a storm of colour, glitter and spectacular costumes.’
- ‘All over Asia, Pattaya is equated with ladyboys.’
- ‘While many women discontinued their services along Beach Road, gays, ladyboys and ‘women of the second category’ did not.’
- ‘I was savouring a cocktail in a busy bar last night when I overheard a group of men saying some jolly unpleasant things about ladyboys (kathoeys).’
- ‘I read with interest the letter from Frank Blanchard about how he feels ladyboys are being ‘attacked’ by letter writers and your editorial staff.’
- ‘The performers include four Thai male dancers, two comedians and 10 ladyboys.’
- ‘One would've imagined that an ability to distinguish ladyboys from genuine ladies is a minimum requirement for modern-day editorial work.’
- ‘On ‘Stronger Than Me’ she berates her passive boyfriend, calls him a ladyboy and mockingly inquires: ‘Are you gay?’’
- ‘I would just like to say to Mr Griller that whilst I have not studied the ladyboy situation in Pattaya, I have however experienced the harassment they can cause.’
- ‘Nothing untoward has happened over there, only two of the men have spent a night in the ‘slammer’, and another one has been held captive by a Bangkok ladyboy - nothing strange there then.’
- ‘We left the joint soon after polishing off our free beers, not looking forward to once again having to push our way past a sea of groping ladyboys and crazy hookers again.’
- ‘With the Thai ladyboys, he certainly picked a subject well out of the ordinary, although Wilner does go to great pains to emphasise the acceptance of ‘women of the second order’ in the Thai society.’
- ‘If you don't know by now, there is a third sex in Thailand and some other Asian countries - the ladyboy.’
- ‘Nonetheless, Beautiful Boxer is, in keeping with its title, beautifully shot and Asanee Suwan, himself a champion in the martial art of Muay Thai, puts in a credible performance as the delicate ladyboy with the lethal kick.’
- ‘The story goes that downtrodden Sophie works in a hat shop and one day meets the glamorous wizard Howl, a charming ladykiller who has garnered the reputation of eating girls' hearts, despite looking more like a ladyboy.’
- ‘Some of the ladyboys were extremely beautiful and incredibly convincing.’
- ‘Here, cameras follow four of the ladyboys both at the festival and during their everyday lives as they shop for clothes and shoes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.