One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small beetle with a domed back, typically red or yellow with black spots; a ladybug.
Family Coccinellidae: several genera and species, including the common European seven-spot ladybird (Coccinella septempunctata)
- ‘Many insects, such as ground beetles, hoverflies and ladybirds, can keep pests under control - but not if they've been destroyed by chemical sprays.’
- ‘Useful insects include silkworms and ladybirds that predate upon aphids.’
- ‘Like many of our endemic species of ladybirds, these beetles have handsome red-and-black coloration.’
- ‘For me, bumble-bees and ladybirds are not the only signs of spring.’
- ‘There is at least one example where PA accumulated by aphids from their host plant are in turn sequestered by the aphid's predator, ladybird beetles.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.