One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sugar present in milk. It is a disaccharide containing glucose and galactose units.
- ‘Some individuals may lose the ability to digest lactose and become lactose intolerant.’
- ‘The common sugars that form part of the diet are sucrose, lactose (milk sugar), and maltose.’
- ‘Some babies are unable to digest the sugar lactose, which is in cow's milk formulas.’
- ‘Soymilk does not contain lactose (milk sugar) and can be drunk by those who are allergic to normal milk.’
- ‘The enzyme lactase breaks down the lactose to galactose and glucose.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.