One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sugar present in milk. It is a disaccharide containing glucose and galactose units.
- ‘Some babies are unable to digest the sugar lactose, which is in cow's milk formulas.’
- ‘Some individuals may lose the ability to digest lactose and become lactose intolerant.’
- ‘The common sugars that form part of the diet are sucrose, lactose (milk sugar), and maltose.’
- ‘The enzyme lactase breaks down the lactose to galactose and glucose.’
- ‘Soymilk does not contain lactose (milk sugar) and can be drunk by those who are allergic to normal milk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.