One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organic compound containing an ester group —OCO— as part of a ring.
- ‘Macrodiols with different thermal characteristics were prepared using ring-opening polymerization of cyclic diesters or lactones with a low molecular weight diol as an initiator.’
- ‘The polar head is a macrocyclic lactone ring containing nine amino acid residues, three of which have positive charges, whereas one has negative charge.’
- ‘Kava lactones are similar in chemical structure to a compound known as myristicin - found in nutmeg.’
- ‘Standardized ginkgo formulas contain 24% flavonoids, and the substance, along with the other main component of ginkgo, terpene lactones, seems to keep red blood cells and platelets from forming clots.’
- ‘The effects of kava-kava come from the synergistic mechanism of its root's active ingredients, resinous compounds called kava lactones.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.