One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a female mammal) secrete milk.
- ‘In Antarctic fur seals, lactating females do not return to feed their pup until they have replenished their own reserves.’
- ‘Creatine should not be used immediately before exercise, and should not be used by children or by women who are pregnant or lactating.’
- ‘The two flocks each numbered 200 head, of which about 100 females are normally lactating.’
- ‘Even camels, the hardiest of animals, have stopped lactating and will soon die.’
- ‘It can interfere with blood-thinning medication, however, and it should not be taken while pregnant or lactating.’
- ‘I noticed in the shower that I had milk coming out, I was lactating.’
- ‘Encouraged by such strong findings, Carter and her colleagues began to look at how lactating and nonlactating women responded to the stress of strenuous exercise.’
- ‘One source recommends avoiding the use of ginseng products in children and in women who are pregnant or lactating, until more rigorous studies prove safety in these groups.’
- ‘Therefore, the longer the mother has lactated and the more menstrual cycles she has experienced, the greater the extent of recanalization.’
- ‘These mice could not lactate, but they were also protected from breast cancer development when infected by mouse mammary tumor virus.’
- ‘Among these species, even lactating females have been reported to switch locations as often as every two weeks, although usually within a small range.’
- ‘The oral administration of Bifidobacteria increased fecal IgA levels in children and fecal and milk IgA levels in lactating mice.’
- ‘Most women of reproductive age spent many years pregnant or lactating, states that suppress ovulation.’
- ‘At that den, the three lactating females were observed providing food for each other and trading places while nursing pups.’
- ‘I had earlier posted a picture of a stuffed calf hanging from a house front in Mylapore, and speculated that it was meant to keep the cow lactating.’
- ‘For most of their adulthood, they're either pregnant or lactating.’
- ‘The amount of each nutrient in the supplement was the recommended dietary allowance for pregnant or lactating woman, except for iron and zinc.’
- ‘Testosterone given to lactating females actually reduces their aggressive reaction to males.’
- ‘Such features may vary according to whether the patient was pregnant, lactating, or had recently terminated her pregnancy or lactation at the time of surgical excision.’
- ‘Current labeling for fluoroquinolones warns against their use in children, adolescents, pregnant women, and lactating women.’
Late 19th century: back-formation from lactation.
A salt or ester of lactic acid.
- ‘As your muscles begin to feel the burn, the body goes into buffer mode, and you release the excess lactate as carbon dioxide as you breathe.’
- ‘This suggests that the H-type LDH is utilized for oxidizing lactate to pyruvate and the M-type the reverse.’
- ‘Alcohols, particularly methanol and ethanol, are metabolized to formate and lactate via an aldehyde.’
- ‘Rolled barley decreased molar proportion of acetate and increased molar proportion of propionate and concentration of lactate in the cecal contents.’
- ‘Some additives, such as salt, sodium lactate and phosphate, have antimicrobial activity.’
Late 18th century: from lactic + -ate.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.