One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A protein or mixture of similar proteins occurring in milk, obtained after the removal of casein and soluble in a salt solution.
- ‘WPC contains biological compounds, like lactoferrin, alpha lactalbumin, immunoglobins and beta lactoglobins, affecting everything from your immune system to nitrogen balance to fat loss.’
- ‘The active site of peptidoglycan lysis is disrupted in lactalbumin.’
- ‘Popov and Poo measured the diffusion of fluorescently labeled lactalbumin, ovalbumin, and bovine serum albumin in neurites of growing Xenopus neurons after protein microinjection into the soma.’
- ‘Antibodies to the principal cow's milk proteins were analyzed, including casein, [alpha] lactalbumin, and [beta] lactoglobulin.’
- ‘Products containing lactic acid, lactalbumin, lactate and casein do not contain lactose.’
Late 19th century: from lacto- ‘of milk’ + albumin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.