One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The laced fastening of a shoe or garment.
- ‘This ‘snap’ would soon supplant the button, the clasp, straps, and lacings as the primary method of fastening gloves.’
- ‘Because the lacings had been moved to either the back or front, a stomacher was worn to hide them.’
- ‘And then his hands moved to the side lacings of her dress.’
- ‘Also, corsets with side lacings can be more readily adjusted for a custom fit than can corsets with just one adjustment point in the back.’
- ‘In addition, it makes the corset look ‘finished’ when the lacings are not totally closed.’
- ‘It turns out, however, that shorter lacings are possible if the lace doesn't have to pass alternately through the eyelets on the left and right side of the shoe.’
2Lace trimming, especially on a uniform.
- ‘Her face was bathed in dappled sunlight through the lacing of the parasol.’
3A dash of liquor added to a drink.‘coffee to which he added a liberal lacing of brandy’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.