A substance that irritates the eyes and causes tears to flow.
- ‘This lachrymator dissolves in eye fluids and produces small amounts of irritating sulfuric acid.’
- ‘What is more, chemical tear gas lachrymators are considered by some to have long term carcinogenic properties.’
- ‘Their eyes must be protected from the effects of lacrimators as well.’
- ‘The student exposed to the lachrymator was not wearing eye protection.’
- ‘Compounds that are labeled as lachrymators belong in this category.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.