Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[usually in plural] One of the recurrent pains felt by a woman during childbirth.Also called birth pang
- ‘All of a sudden, she felt labor pains and was rushed to the hospital.’
- ‘He was so sure of their gratitude, so compassionate for their plight, that he opened his door to an Arab woman feigning labor pains on the first night of the rampage.’
- ‘They grip a wooden pole to cope with labor pains.’
- ‘So the pains my mother was feeling before were labor pains?’
- ‘But planning ahead can help to ease labor pains while you look forward to holding your baby in your arms.’
- ‘The saga began when labor pains prematurely struck Lo's daughter, Teresa Lo, at her flat.’
- ‘I have to say that taking a shower was the best way for me to deal with my labor pain.’
- ‘One dreary February morning the labor pains began.’
- ‘Archeological findings at an ancient site in Jerusalem suggest that marijuana was consumed to alleviate labor pains 1,600 years ago.’
- ‘They had a host of injuries, from broken bones to premature labor pains.’
- ‘Pregnant women take Lamaze courses not because what they learn will quell their labor pains, but because knowing what to expect helps them to handle the pain.’
- ‘What activity could a player from the World Cup-winning French soccer team share with an alcoholic on the road to recovery and a woman peacefully controlling her labor pains?’
- ‘It is believed by Samoans to be a means of helping men appreciate the prolonged labor pains involved with childbirth.’
- ‘The site, known as The Pulse of Oriental Medicine, suggests that acupuncture is valuable in treating acute strokes, spinal cord injuries, labor pains, nausea after hysterectomy and smoking-cessation treatments.’
- ‘By 1850, ether and chloroform were available to reduce labor pains.’
- ‘Mocha started moaning like she had labor pains.’
- ‘Her due date had come and gone without an inkling of labor pains.’
- ‘She meets with one teenage girl who is afraid of labor pains and started smoking to keep the baby as small as possible.’
- ‘These guideposts transformed my negative thoughts into useful work, the way Lamaze mothers learn to re-imagine labor pains as muscle contractions.’
- ‘As Izumi's labor pains came quicker, Dr. Chambers administered the epidural anesthesia.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.