One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a form of work) needing a large workforce or a large amount of work in relation to output.‘the labor-intensive task of tagging each item in the store’
- ‘Later, Director of Agriculture Arabinda Padhee said funds required for labour-intensive programmes would be sourced from the National Rural Employment Guarantee Programme.’
- ‘At about the same time, politicians and development officials also became aware of the vast potential for employment in the forestry sector, particularly if labor-intensive practices were emphasized.’
- ‘Government-run entities are often more labor-intensive than private companies, even with identical production technologies.’
- ‘‘The new policy will add cost and affect the cash flow of exporters, especially those engaged in the labor-intensive part of the industry,’ she said.’
- ‘Traditionally, higher education is a labour-intensive business in which the costs are determined by the average size of classes and the number of contact hours.’
- ‘But labor-intensive sectors still face challenges in upgrading technologies, management and quality of employees.’
- ‘The Chinese government plans to impose new restrictions to discourage investment in labor-intensive industries that produce cheap goods for export.’
- ‘Maybe her experience with crawfish boils made her more open to the joys of labor-intensive feasts.’
- ‘The European Commission proposes to allow seventeen Member States to either continue or start to apply reduced rates of Value Added Tax until 31 December 2010, on some labour-intensive services such as renovation of private dwellings, hairdressing, window-cleaning, domestic cares and small repairs.’
- ‘Statistics provide a compelling illustration of how labor-intensive restaurants are compared to other industries.’
- ‘Although the team-based system is labour-intensive, in its first four weeks it led, she says, to a 50 per cent decrease in delayed discharges from the four wards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.