One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loose collarless shirt worn by people from South Asia.
- ‘Readymade salwar suits and kurtas from jute to silk are also available.’
- ‘At the other end of the bench sat a man in a kurta and shawl: he had a turban and a drooping white moustache.’
- ‘We don't have structured garments except the traditional kurta and pajama.’
- ‘Both men and women also wear a kurta, a long tunic-like shirt, and pyjamas, loose baggy trousers.’
- ‘Hindu men wear a type of shirt called a kurta and trousers called dhoti.’
From Urdu and Persian kurtah.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.