One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a mainly Islamic people living in parts of eastern Turkey, northern Iraq, western Iran, and eastern Syria.
- ‘In 1991, the Americans again called on the Kurds to revolt and again abandoned them.’
- ‘Because of their religious rites the Yezidis were despised by the rest of Kurds and lived in isolation.’
- ‘For Orta, that attention is as necessary now as it was when she first saw television pictures of displaced Kurds.’
- ‘This would be no more separatist than what the Americans have already conceded to the Kurds in the north.’
- ‘A large group of Kurds headed to Rusholme and the Kurdistan Restaurant to celebrate the news.’
- ‘It reveals an alternative, rebel underworld in Istanbul, populated mainly by Kurds.’
- ‘Foreign journalists who left the city reported fierce fighting between Arabs and Kurds in Mosul.’
- ‘Saladin was a Kurd, and many of his soldiers were not Arabs.’
- ‘Asked to choose between the Kurds and the Turks we might well become confused.’
- ‘Turkey has claimed the deaths were the result of civil unrest at a time of war and that Turks and Kurds also lost their lives.’
- ‘His treatment of the Kurds and Marsh Arabs transcends any claim to sovereign invulnerability.’
- ‘A group of youths said that the people living at the house were Kurds.’
- ‘Half of the Kurds reside in Turkey, where they comprise over 20 percent of the Turkish population.’
- ‘The presence or absence of Kurds neither adds nor subtracts to the legitimacy of the protest.’
- ‘Yet once outside threats were removed the Kurds began fighting among themselves.’
- ‘Eventually the Kurds and the Turks sorted everything out and our convoy rolled out of Silopi.’
- ‘Nor do we have any problem with our brothers the Kurds, the Christians or the Turkmen.’
- ‘In 1945, Kurds set up a Kurdish republic at Mahabad in the Soviet, occupied zone in Iran.’
- ‘Note how many quotes are from wounded Kurds insisting that they do not blame the Americans.’
- ‘Since the end of the sanctions, the Kurds have sought ways to make up for that lost income.’
The name in Kurdish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.