Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An orangelike fruit related to the citruses, with an edible sweet rind and acid pulp. It is eaten raw or used in preserves.
- ‘There are candied kumquats, rhubarb ketchup, and mustards flavored with papaya or tamarind.’
- ‘She planted pencil pines around the fence and lobbied for the verandah roof to be removed from our Victorian house so she could place cumquats in tubs on the tessellated terrace.’
- ‘Add the oranges, grapefruits, lemons, kumquats, reserved juices, garlic, and vanilla oil.’
- ‘A grocer is supplied with kumquats but is unable to sell them.’
- ‘To serve, place some venison in the center of a plate and arrange some cabbage leaves, sliced kumquats, kumquat chutney, and a whole kumquat around the dish.’
- ‘Go to 66 in New York, ask for a mojito and you'll be told about the house special - a version made with kumquats.’
- ‘In spots throughout the room, we displayed lemons, kumquats, cranberries, and rosemary.’
- ‘The recipe also adds homemade honeyed ginger and store-bought candied orange peel, but I used store-bought crystallized ginger and peel of home-made candied kumquats, which were what I had at my hand.’
- ‘It was like a warm sorbet with a kumquat on the side.’
- ‘For pudding there was ice cream and a selection of fruit including kumquats - small Chinese oranges.’
- ‘In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the sliced kumquats and water to a simmer.’
- ‘It may or may not be a strange fruit, but in my life I have never had a kumquat.’
- ‘If you see her get caught next time with a load of kumquats, you know that Annette Bening is up to something.’
- ‘It went nicely with hazelnut ice cream, or poached kumquats, or even a dribbling of sabayon.’
- ‘Ask him about the weather or the federal budget or the price of kumquats, and 15 minutes later he'll still be rattling on and on and on.’
- ‘Consider adding whole lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits and even kumquats to main courses as they cook.’
- ‘I don't think people want things like kumquats or small octopuses in their drinks.’
- ‘They have great fun decorating it with ivies, dried citrus fruits, cinnamon sticks, ginger and kumquats.’
- ‘Once the liquid has heated, add 6-10 sliced, seeded cumquats and simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes.’
- ‘I have tweaked it a little by replacing oranges with kumquats.’
2The eastern Asian shrub or small tree that yields the kumquat.
- ‘As the official Xinhua news agency described the scene: ‘The banquet hall, decked out with blooming narcissus and fruit-bearing kumquats, was full of cheers and laughter.’’
Late 17th century: from Chinese ( Cantonese dialect) kam kwat little orange.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.