One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(until the introduction of the euro in 2011) the basic monetary unit of Estonia, equal to 100 senti.
- ‘In the case of Estonia, for instance, eight Estonian kroons are covered by one Deutschmark.’
- ‘In Estonia, more than half want to retain the kroon, which many see as a symbol of their liberation from the old Soviet Union in 1991.’
- ‘Diesel, for example, will go up from 2.55 to 3.84 kroons a litre.’
- ‘The EEK or Estonian kroon exchanged at 14.62 to the US dollar in September, 1999.’
- ‘So you will still have to cope with the kroon, zloty, tolar and forint for a few years.’
Estonian, literally ‘crown’; compare with krona, krone.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.