One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural krooni, Plural kroons
(until the introduction of the euro in 2011) the basic monetary unit of Estonia, equal to 100 senti.
- ‘Diesel, for example, will go up from 2.55 to 3.84 kroons a litre.’
- ‘So you will still have to cope with the kroon, zloty, tolar and forint for a few years.’
- ‘In the case of Estonia, for instance, eight Estonian kroons are covered by one Deutschmark.’
- ‘In Estonia, more than half want to retain the kroon, which many see as a symbol of their liberation from the old Soviet Union in 1991.’
- ‘The EEK or Estonian kroon exchanged at 14.62 to the US dollar in September, 1999.’
Estonian, literally ‘crown’; compare with krona, krone.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.