One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Malay or Indonesian dagger with a wavy-edged blade.
- ‘There is often a mass killing that ends the performance as each person takes out a kris, the short zig-zag bladed knife, and stabs his own body.’
- ‘As Schama notes, the dagger used to puncture the hero's eye in the Blinding of Samson, one of Rembrandt's most dramatic history paintings, is a Javanese kris.’
- ‘As he was struggling for his last breath, Mpu Gandring cursed the kris by saying that it would be responsible for the deaths of seven generations that followed, including Ken Arok.’
- ‘If a powerful spirit has possessed them, and if the blessing is successful, the kris will not penetrate and they will not bleed.’
- ‘The solemn ceremony concluded with him kissing the hilt of the royal kris, or jagged dagger that is a symbol of power, along with a 21-gun salute to the strains of the national anthem.’
Late 16th century: based on Malay keris.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.