One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of the Czech Republic, equal to 100 halers.
- ‘The move has proved unpopular with the public in Slovakia, where the average monthly wage is 14 000 korunas.’
- ‘One American, who obviously didn't want to join the queues, was fined 10,000 korunas when he tried driving across one of the closed bridges.’
- ‘According to the company-commissioned study, premature deaths from cigarettes saved the Czech government between 943 million koruna and 1.19 billion koruna (between $23.8 million and $30.1 million).’
- ‘Estonia, Lithuania, and Bulgaria rely on currency board arrangements, whereas the Slovak Republic has pegged the koruna to a basket of foreign currencies with fluctuation margins.’
- ‘This will amount to an average of 50 korunas a month per patient, according to health ministry estimates.’
- ‘In addition to Danish krone, there will be Czech korunas - and Slovak korunas too, for that matter.’
- ‘On the downside, the Czech koruna fell 1.4%, the Polish zloty 1.2%, and the Norwegian krone 0.9%.’
- ‘On the downside, the Polish Zloty, Slovakia koruna, and South African rand declined 3%, while the Hungarian forint, Czech koruna, and Romania leu declined 2%.’
- ‘Month-to-date, the Swedish krona, Hungarian forint, Czech koruna, and Norwegian krone have gained almost 5% against the dollar.’
- ‘He was fined a record 200,000 koruna and banned for 15 games Wednesday for criticizing a referee.’
- ‘On the downside, the Polish zloty sank 4%, the Hungarian forint 2.6%, the Turkish lira 2.5%, and Czech koruna 2.3%.’
- ‘For instance, the Slovakian koruna hit a record high against the euro on Mar. 8.’
- ‘The leading currencies were the Swedish krona, Swiss franc, Norwegian krone, Czech koruna, Australian dollar, Danish krone, euro and New Zealand dollar.’
- ‘She is seeking damages of 1 million koruna, daily newspaper Lidove Noviny wrote.’
- ‘The Polish zloty jumped 3.3%, the South African rand 2.5%, Czech koruna 2.0%, and Hungarian forint 1.9%.’
Czech, literally ‘crown’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.