One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small hill in a generally flat area.
high ground, rising ground, prominence, eminence, elevation, rise, hillock, mound, mount, knoll, hummock, tor, tump, fell, pike, mesaView synonyms
- ‘Mongooses, hedgehogs and tortoises, live happily at the koppies.’
- ‘The area around the visitors' centre will be planted with indigenous grasses, giving way to the indigenous plants and trees around the top of the koppie, where the cave lies.’
- ‘The festival began in the bar on top of the koppie, and has been going from strength to strength.’
- ‘Alas, there seemed to be water towers on red koppies all over the place.’
- ‘One, who was named Musilo, managed to flee to a small kopje or hillock from which he watched the murder.’
Afrikaans, from Dutch kopje, diminutive of kop ‘head’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.