A small hill in a generally flat area.
high ground, rising ground, prominence, eminence, elevation, rise, hillock, mound, mount, knoll, hummock, tor, tump, fell, pike, mesaView synonyms
- ‘The festival began in the bar on top of the koppie, and has been going from strength to strength.’
- ‘One, who was named Musilo, managed to flee to a small kopje or hillock from which he watched the murder.’
- ‘Alas, there seemed to be water towers on red koppies all over the place.’
- ‘The area around the visitors' centre will be planted with indigenous grasses, giving way to the indigenous plants and trees around the top of the koppie, where the cave lies.’
- ‘Mongooses, hedgehogs and tortoises, live happily at the koppies.’
From Afrikaans koppie, from Dutch kopje, diminutive of kop head.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.