A powder that is added to water or another liquid to make a fruit-flavored soft drink.‘a pitcher of cherry Kool-Aid’
- ‘Catfish anglers are doing well in 15 feet of water with sliced hot dogs and chicken soaked overnight in grape Kool-Aid.’
- ‘I promptly poured myself a big, cold glass of the finest Kool-Aid.’
- ‘But I felt much better about this one and had a big glass of Kool-Aid.’
- ‘Just go back to your jug of Kool-Aid and take a swig and relax.’
- ‘The future is very bright, join me for a glass of Kool-Aid.’
1920s: from kool, an informal respelling of cool + -aid, a respelling of -ade, after lemonade, orangeade, etc..