One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A common carp of a large ornamental variety, originally bred in Japan.
- ‘Underneath the glassy ground were flickering shadows of fish, koi carp from what Kaiyo could see of their silhouettes, with luminescent lines along their sides like those of deep-water fish.’
- ‘But fish stocks, including expensive koi carp, did not perish because the tanks were covered.’
- ‘About 20 koi carp, worth more than £1, 000, were killed, and between 20 and 30 finches, canaries, waxbills and Java sparrows were allowed to escape.’
- ‘There were also a few small carp and a couple of koi carp in the bag.’
- ‘On Saturday Abby showed us the delights of Shingo town which included a tree that looked like a giant cotton bud, a massive waterwheel and some koi carp which Johanna tried to feed with a dead crab.’
- ‘I love the palace gardens though, taking walks to the pagodas, over bridges spanning lakes full of koi carp and under cherry blossom trees.’
- ‘In one example, a man's koi carp were stolen from his garden.’
- ‘Compare those with neon tetras or Japanese koi.’
- ‘Staff and children at Queen's Crescent School worked with local artist Su Briggs to make large sculptures of Chinese dragons, terracotta warriors and koi carp.’
- ‘Fairly recently I have been fishing fisheries in Devon that contain koi and ghost carp.’
- ‘Generally, most goldfish and koi can survive in temperatures about 50 degrees Fahrenheit, but consult with your fish provider regarding acclimation procedures.’
- ‘I'll sit in my Japanese garden, watching my koi carp.’
- ‘Yesterday we installed a small pump and fountain in the pond, much to the delight of the fish, who responded by showing much greater activity, taking their food with more enthusiasm and giving us some idea of the fun you can have with koi carp.’
- ‘There were also some nice koi carp in his catches.’
- ‘A pensioner who stole her neighbours' koi carp and fried them as they watched in horror was ordered to pay more than £10,000 in damages.’
- ‘A friend of mine in Brixton kept koi carp in a raised toilet and this heron came straight in and ate the fish before you could say Jack Robinson.’
- ‘I was really surprised to find that the fish included koi carp.’
- ‘Reclining on the futon, he gazes upon goldfish and koi swirling in the nearby pond and listens to softly falling water.’
- ‘Clocks in every room are still ticking and three koi carp still swim in the garden pond, which overlooks peaceful Accrington countryside.’
- ‘Goldfish, koi, and plants keep the water clean enough that filters do not have to be used.’
Early 18th century: from Japanese, ‘carp’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.