One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the priestly class, having certain rights and duties in the synagogue.
- ‘In fact, the High Priest, whose role it was to preserve peace among the Jews and between God and His children below, was called a kohen.’
- ‘Some maintain that Elijah is a kohen, who will serve as the High Priest in the days of the Messiah, in the Third Temple.’
- ‘It includes ritual handwashing of the kohanim by the levites.’
- ‘The elder of the town, Mattathias, who is a cohen, that is of the priestly class, refuses.’
- ‘If a cohen raises a boy as his son, the boy will not have the privileges nor the constraints of the priesthood.’
From Hebrew, literally ‘priest’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.