(in Middle Eastern and Indian cooking) a spiced meatball.
- ‘To make the kofta roast the coriander and cumin seeds in a fry pan on the stove and then grind in a mortar and pestle.’
- ‘I discovered koftas, those wonderful little meatballs swimming in curry sauce.’
- ‘We tried vegetable and lamb koftas and were not disappointed.’
- ‘Now wrap the noodles carefully around the koftas.’
- ‘There are also the more familiar kofta and shish kebab.’
From Urdu and Persian koftah ‘pounded meat’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.