One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal of a large race of the North American brown bear or grizzly, found on islands to the south of Alaska.
- ‘For a Fox-TV special called Man vs. Beast, Kobayashi faced down a 1,089-pound Kodiak bear in a hot-dog-eating contest.’
- ‘But even they were dwarfed by the formidable Pachyaena, a ground-dwelling cousin of the earliest whales, whose head reached the size of a Kodiak bear's.’
- ‘When interior bears stand on their hind feet to get a better view of their surroundings, they may be 1.8-2.7 meters tall whereas Kodiak bears are 2.7-3.4 meters in height.’
- ‘The oldest known wild Kodiak bear was a 34-year-old sow.’
- ‘The Kodiak bear, also known as the Alaskan Brown bear, can grow to be 10.5 feet long and can weigh up to 900 lbs.’
Late 19th century: named after Kodiak Island, Alaska.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.