One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large Hawaiian forest tree which yields dark red timber.
- ‘The first native trees encountered are some koas that form a canopy over the trail.’
- ‘A koa instrument crafted by a famous maker like Honolulu's Kamaka can cost $900.’
- ‘Those koa trees will do more than just provide roosting sites for birds, they'll also help capture moisture, raising the air temperature near them by as much as 5 degrees.’
- ‘In a setting rich with koa wood furnishings polished to perfection, Iolani Palace transports families to the glory years of Hawaiian royalty.’
- ‘His early attempts to nurture Hawaiian natives like koa, ohia lehua, and lama trees were disappointing.’
- ‘All that engineering comes with a walnut and Hawaiian koa veneer.’
- ‘In addition, Aki trees are often located on ridges or the edge of gulches, which is also where large koa tend to grow.’
Early 19th century: from Hawaiian.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.