Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Knock (an opponent) out in a boxing match.
knocked out, insensible, senseless, insentient, insensate, passed out, comatose, in a coma, inertView synonyms
- ‘Conn had KO'd his last four opponents, including heavyweights Buddy Knox and Gunnar Barlund, both in the 8th rounds.’
- ‘Those days may have ended when Mike Tyson got KO'd by Buster Douglas.’
- ‘In his first fight as a pro, Foreman KO'd Don Waldheim in the third round an hour before Frazier and Quarry fought.’
- ‘It's sort of like when Buster Douglas KO'd Mike Tyson.’
- ‘His final 5 bouts following the McClellan tragedy ended with a record of 2-3 with Benn being KO'd on 2 of those occasions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.