Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A slow pitch that has virtually no spin and moves erratically, typically made by releasing the ball from between the thumb and the knuckles of the first joints of the index and middle finger.
- ‘Sauveur throws a fastball, knuckleball, curveball and cutter, and he changes speeds with all of them.’
- ‘Wilhelm and Niekro are the only two pitchers in the Hall of Fame who relied primarily on the knuckleball throughout their careers.’
- ‘He had pitched in high school and occasionally had thrown a knuckleball.’
- ‘You'll learn the rules of offense and defense, and all about fastballs, curveballs, knuckleballs and screwballs.’
- ‘Eddie Cicotte is thought to be the first major league pitcher to specialize in throwing the knuckleball.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.